Friday, March 16, 2007

God's Plan

In the world that we live in, there are many problems that we are urged to lend a helping hand towards. Especially from the church. The issues range from helping each other, to homelessness, to government policies, and everything in between. There definitely is a long to-do list in this world of things that need to be done. There are a lot of people who might just need our help, who may need that helpful little nudge towards a better life. Sometimes, though, I can’t help and wonder why, if God is all powerful, does he not do something about it? Why doesn’t he just snap his fingers and make it all right?
I came by a quote recently that I believe holds the answer to this question…at least to some extent. “Passed the seeker as he prayed came the crippled and the beggar and the beaten. And seeing them... he cried, ‘Great God, how is it that a loving creator can see such things and yet do nothing about them?” God said, "I did do something. I made you.” ~Author Unknown
I found that to be a powerful statement. “I made you”. Maybe that message alone is something we all knew already. However, it seems that he made us for more than just the fun of it. Or maybe this is all part of one big experiment by a higher being that we’ve taken to calling God. Who really knows? But maybe, just maybe, the reason that we are each here on this earth is to help one another.
Maybe, as the seeker was made to help the crippled, the beggar, and the beaten, we are made to help each other. What if God has made each and every one of us just for that purpose? Albert Pike once said, “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” There’s something to that statement.
Nobody will ever remember what we have done for ourselves. The only one who will ever remember that is ourselves, and we won’t last forever. What we do and have done for others has an impact on them and on the world for ages to come. One need only speak a few kind words to someone who needs them, or lend a helping hand to someone who needs it and the course of the future has already been set in motion. That kind gesture can make a world of difference and we may not even realize it at the time.
There are some who say that God sends angels to help us. I don’t know if I believe that totally, to be completely honest with you. It could be true, I’m just not sure. But there’s a song I know that really speaks to how I feel about that. The song is called Baptism, sung by Randy Travis and Kenny Chesney. “…I didn’t see no angels, just a few saints on the shore; but I felt like a brand new baby, cradled up in the arms of the Lord.” I believe that I have seen those saints on the shores of life, as I am sure many of us have.
So maybe God does help us. Maybe He has created us to help one another. “I made you,” He said. He made me, He made you, He made us all. He created us to help each other, to grow and share in love and kindness. To help. And at times when we wonder what God has planned for us and the world… just remember, He made us.

-Nico Anderson

No comments: