Friday, March 16, 2007

No You Can't Borrow My Book

Random Obsessions with Peter Short

Have you ever read a book that you loved so much that you wanted everyone to read it, because, well, it was just that amazing? So then, someone asks you to borrow the book… but you realize that you couldn’t possibly part from it long enough to let anyone else read it.
This is exactly how I feel about Peter Short’s book Outside Eden: Essays of Encouragement. Rarely do I go a week without opening it for some reason. Posted all over my wall are sticky notes with my favourite quotes from the book, written in random neon highlighter. Even my friends and I find a way to bring it into almost every conversation we ever have.
But why is it so great? For me it’s not just a book of essays, the type you have to read for school all the time. Peter Short shares his ideas, inspiration, and insight on both faith and life. It doesn’t matter who you are or where you’re at in life, he manages to make you feel as though he is speaking directly to you.
This book has seen me through the thick and the thin. When I attended General Council this summer, it was the most amazing spiritual, life-changing event I had ever been to. Returning home to life (which although I’d changed, home hadn’t), it was a bit of a culture shock of sorts. I missed the feeling of General Council and when I needed my spiritual fulfillment of the day, Peter Short’s book filled the hole growing inside me, lifting me up and helping me adjust to my not-so-perfect life. And when I finished it, it made me sad. Actually, I cried. Somehow Peter Short managed to write exactly what I wanted to hear. He has the words to write what I sometimes feel but can’t express.
And then began my obsession with Peter Short. I’m not a stalker, but I have perhaps gotten closer to the line than I am willing to admit. I googled “Peter Short,” looking for anything at all that he may have written. Upon running out of anything new, I began re-reading and re-reading and reading again the stories I had. And then in me grew a mad, desperate hope that Peter Short would write another book… which became a mad, desperate plan of moving to Fredericton, just to attend the church where Peter Short is a minister.
Basically, I would recommend this book to everyone and everybody, as you probably all want some Peter Short in your life. (Although you’ll have to buy your own copy because you can’t borrow my copy… not to be selfish, you’ll love it too much to return it.) Or check out Peter Short’s writing for yourself— www.united-church.ca/moderator/short/. You know you’re excited.

-Kathleen Kerr, with help from Charley Switzer

No comments: