Tuesday, October 14, 2008

My Gift

My name is Nico Anderson. I have a gift. Although it is one that people appreciate in others, it is also one that meets criticism, in both direct and indirect ways. That gift is listening. Listening with both heart and mind.
This gift means, for me anyway, that I am more silent than others. Often times I spend more time listening to people rather than actually participating in conversations myself.
People often tell me that I should speak up more; they ask me to tell them what I think about various topics. I don’t always have an answer for them. Don’t get me wrong, I do talk, just not a lot. I’m doing what I do best. Listening. And not only do I listen with my mind but also with my heart. Listening with my heart, I believe, is the most important kind of listening that I can do, even in the midst of criticism.
People just don’t seem to feel comfortable with someone who is quiet. Either that or they don’t understand why I am quiet, and sometimes I feel as if people can’t understand why.
Despite being misunderstood at times, I have honoured and nurtured my gift of listening and I have learned more in listening than I would ever have done in speaking. I have heard people’s stories. I have shared in people’s lives by listening. I have learned more about the cruel realities and the wonderfully joyous celebrations that take place in everyday life.
Because of my listening I understand that, in the words of the song “Come a Long Way”, by Tons Of Fun University, “Everything beautiful about this world is right now”.
I look for the beauty in everything that I listen to. And in that beauty, I see and hear love – love that isn’t always perfect, and is often broken. And in that brokenness comes something greater…that I believe is the truest kind of love – the love of God.
Through our toughest times, our least perfect and most broken times, God shows us love, and embraces us with it. God whispers to us of how we are perfect in our brokenness, of how, no matter what, God will always love and embrace… us.
My gift is listening and I hold to the spiritual truth that God gave me this gift and with it I shall continue to listen to the beauties of life. I will continue to learn about others and experience the cruel and joyous realities of life. In listening I will share in people’s lives and meet God in those people. I shall do this despite any criticism, and I shall try my best to use this gift to its fullest.
I am Nico Anderson, and I thank you for listening – to me.
-Nico Anderson

No comments: