Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Tonight I Pray

Dear God, who has created and is creating, tonight I have to pray for me. While I know I should pray for all the others, tonight I can’t. I have to pray for my own salvation. I ask that You take some of the fears from my heart. I ask that You remove some of the impossibilities from my future, the challenges of my present, and the pain from my past, and hold them with You. I ask for some of the answers I am looking for. I ask that You heal some of the pain in my heart
You are the Lord of my parents, my grandparents, and of myself. The God who has created this amazing place. You are the God who tonight I must believe in . The God who I ask to save me.
-Kathleen Kerr



A friend of mine once asked her minister how to pray. The answer? To talk as though someone was listening.
Which is immensely interesting to me. The idea that to pray is to simply talk as though there is someone out there listening. Not to worry about all the niceties, the Amen’s or the Hallelujah's. Rather, to just talk like maybe you’re speaking to a friend or maybe a stranger, but just to say all the things you need someone to hear. You can share your brokenness and pain, along with your joys and gladness as well. You would never have to be lonely.
So just speak, and see where it takes you.
-Kathleen Kerr

No comments: